Writing Wednesdays: Writing Masterpost + New Anthology!

In an effort to blog more frequently and reliably, I'm instituting some themed days on here. Today kicks of Writing Wednesday. I'm hoping to do this every other Wednesday. The theme of Writing Wednesday will be resources, tips, and other things that assist me or that I've seen assist other writers. I'm starting off real easy with this epic masterpost of writing tools that I saved over on my Tumblr. 

I haven't managed to explore every link yet, so there's a good chance future WW posts will be one or more things on this list, expanded and opined on. For now, I'll just list some of the ones I'm most interested in exploring.


  • Name Generators - name generators are my JAM. I use them most in my non-contemporary stories, or for secondary, tertiary or less important characters in contemporary ones. MCs always get a bit more thought put into them. That's a post for another day.
  • Ways to avoid saying the word 'very' - I'm most interested in this because I admit it: I'm an adverb whore. I go trhough my stories twice just searching for -ly words and removing superfluous ones. The last story I did this to, I cut out nearly 200 adverbs out of 32K+ None of them were very, but I feel like similar rules can apply. Unless of course, this just directs me to use words like extremely instead. i need more actiony verbs that describe themselves, not words to modify them.
  • Cis person writing trans character - I am cis, but character in upcoming novels of mine are trans. No two transgender people's stories are exactly alike, but there's a lot to be said about research, asking opinions, and doing the utmost not to offend. Chances are I'll still get things wrong, but as long as i make it clear I am learning and open to corrections, I think that's the most important thing.


That's just a few to start with. Did any on the masterlist really strike your fancy as something to explore? Let me know in the comments!

But that's not all I'm leaving you with! I mentioned a little while back that I had another story accepted to an upcoming less Than Three anthology, Private Dicks: Packing Heat. Well, it has a cover and a release date! Here's the awesome cover, created by the incredibly talented Aisha Akeju.


It's so perfectly in line with the cover of the first detective anthology too. *_* I'm in love. What do you think?

So what are you waiting for? Go ahead and preorder it now! It's going to be released on August 31st. AAAAHHHHH!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Writing Wednesdays: Preptober Continues!

Writing Wednesdays: I'm Back Baby!

Countdown Starts: One Month Until A Honeyed Light!