Writing Wednesdays: Favorite Books for Writers

Hi everyone!

My post's up a bit later than usual today as I had some appointments and wasn't able to make the post until now. Today I want to talk about favorite books, but not favorite books to read, I mean favorite books as tools for writing. There is one clear winner out of all of the writing resources I've read over the years, and it's Rachel Aaron's 2K to 10K.


So why do I love it so much?

It's a bit of a cop-out to say you have to read it for yourself, but you really do. For me, I didn't quite get to 10,000 words a day, but when using methods discussed in the book, I doubled, tripled my work output in the same amount of time I normally spend writing. If I had a schedule where I could write the bulk of the day, 10K would have been no problem. I was writing 2,000 words in under an hour, when that was usually more than my whole day's goal!


And the best part is it's not a gimmick. It's just a combination of really knowing what you want to write before you sit down to start letting words flow, and cutting out distractions so you can really focus on the writing. I'm a plotter, so maybe it won't quite work the same way for pantsers, but I found that outlining the scene before I write it made it flow twice as fast. 

Even if you think it might not work for you, I'd say give it a shot. You can grab it from a bunch of digital retailers and it's only $0.99!

What about you? What are your favorite books for writers?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Writing Wednesdays: Preptober Continues!

Writing Wednesdays: I'm Back Baby!

It's Release Day for A Honeyed Light!